November 9, 2012

{day NINE} my BREAD WINNER

It's been almost a month since I quit my job.  There have been plenty of days that have caused me to remember why I enjoy working so much.  Going to work added a bit of diversity to my life that I don't normally get otherwise.  I was able to socialize and rub shoulders with my co-workers, and I miss that.

Nowadays, I spend most of my time with Isabelle and her friends.  And, I'll admit, sometimes I just want a break from the usual that comes from being a stay-at-home-mom.

However, despite how mundane my days can seem, I am grateful that I'm able to stay at home.  And that is only possible because Dustin is such a hard worker and takes his responsibility as our primary bread winner very, very seriously.


I used to work part-time at an event's center, and too many of my co-workers were women who worked multiple jobs because their husbands couldn't find "the perfect job." Instead, these "men" opted to not work at all, not seeming to mind that their wives worked on their feet all day long.

Over the years, Dustin has taken jobs that he knew he wouldn't like, but he tolerated them while he looked for something better.  The idea of not working just because the greatest job wasn't falling into his lap was never an option.  And, eventually, his patience and endurance paid off because now he has a great job.

Yesterday, Dustin worked 14 hours.  The day before that he worked 12.  And the day before that he worked 9.  Who knows how long he'll work today.  He works so, so hard because that's the type of person he is.  He has a great work ethic, and even though I know the pressure of being our primary bread winner is great he never fails to go to work every day.

I often ask him how I can make his days easier, to lighten his load.  And his answer is always, "Having dinner ready for me when I come home means so much."

So, not only is he a hard worker, he's pretty easy to please.

8 comments:

  1. What a great husband! And I too have lots of friends who have to work because their husbands wont. What is up with that? I think there is a new breed of men these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Shawna. It's way "what the..." when men don't work. I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned, but I think all men should work if they are able to, even if their wives are working as well.

      Delete
  2. He's just an awesome awesome guy. Always has been! Proud momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great guy! And you are a nice wife to post such kind words of praise to your hubbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always good to be thankful for our husbands. They work so hard at "work", home and church. They really are always serving (except when they're watching football) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband stayed home for over a year to support me in my career - without him providing full time child care for our children, I never would have been able to do it. I think it was actually the hardest time for him, because he got a lot of comments about letting his wife take care of him, despite the fact he said that the time he spent at home, doing laundry, dishes, and all the meals, was actually some of the hardest work he had ever done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dustin is so awesome. Not only does he help everyone in his own department stay afloat, he also helps me so much in my department as well. He is the go-to-guy in his department and you don't just get to be that person without working hard! I know staying at home is probably kind of weird for you, Em. I bet it sometimes gets frustrating only being able to talk to 3 and 5 year olds all day. You nailed it on the head though, you are able to do that because Dustin works so hard. I'm grateful for you, Dustin, Isabelle, and Lydia!

    Love you guys!

    Love--Matt, Britt, Lady, Calvyn, and Winslow

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great husband! How blessed you are :) My husband says the same thing;..dinner ready always makes the top of the list. However, I work too so we both will get dinner going depending who gets home first :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a thought.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...