April 8, 2013

{g}: GOOD deed

Too often, I find myself consumed with what is going on with me and my family.  I spend my time worrying about my own situation and how I can better things in my own life.  Even though I'm not suggesting I shouldn't be thinking about these sorts of things, I do think it's just as important to think about what I can do to help those around me.

This is why I set a goal to do a good deed at least once a month.  Ideally, this is something I would continue to do throughout my life and never consider "crossed off the list."  However, I wanted to include it on my list anyway.

I completed my good deed for April a few days ago.  My lovely sister-in-law, Brittney, who works at a rest home, texted me and said one of her residents wanted to meet my baby girl.  Brittney asked if I would at all consider bringing my latest bundle of joy to the rest home so this sweet older lady could see her.  I didn't hesitate in the slightest and we agreed on a time to go.

Just this past Saturday, my husband, our two girls and I went to this rest home and met Carol.  At age 94, she was slow physically, but sharp mentally.  She also had a wonderful sense of humor.  When I showed her my baby, she gushed over her beauty.  I asked if she would like to hold her and she excitedly said yes.  

Over the next 30 minutes, I watched Carol admire my daughter.  She gazed at her precious face as if it was the first baby she had ever seen.  Then, she uttered a sentence I'll never forget.  She said, "Why did I ever think holding my babies was a waste of time?"

We left Carol's room with a promise to visit again.

Like all good deeds, the intention is to help someone else, but the result is always feeling better yourself.  I know we made Carol's day, but she also made ours.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Random Acts Of Kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great story! And it sounds like maybe Carol taught you something, too.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a thought.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...