April 6, 2012

F is for FLEXIBILITY

My high school gym teacher always had her students stretch at the beginning of class.  I remember her explaining to the class that stretching and being flexible is so important because as we grow and age our bodies change.  But, she told us, if we did stretching exercises each day, we would have less problems later in life.


Source

I don't know why I've always remembered that, and I think I'm going to have to start doing my stretching exercises every day because I think bending over to pick something off the floor will prove useful throughout my entire life.

But, this post isn't just about the importance of physical flexibility.  It's more about being flexible in life.  I have learned that life tends to throw a lot of curve balls.  I have also come to believe that all things happen for a reason.  Because of this, when life takes me in a different direction that I want or have even planned, I try to look at the situation with a greater perspective.  I often ask what I'm suppose to be learning from my new path, or what I'm suppose to be doing instead of what I was wanting to do.

For example, this time last year I had told my husband I felt very strongly about having another baby.  As a family, we were in transition mode.  We were living in a small apartment while we looked for a new house and my husband had just started a new job.  Adding another bundle of joy to the mix was probably the last thing he wanted to do, but we came up with a plan that worked.  Because it took practically no time at all for me to get pregnant the first time, we prepared for me to get pregnant right away.

Well, after a year of trying I'm still not pregnant.  And in some ways I'm surprised and wonder if there is something wrong with me.  But, in other ways, I feel a sense of peace when I think about the fact that maybe it's just not the right time.  I'm not sure why I thought it was the right time a year ago, but life works in mysterious ways sometimes.

Instead of being mad or angry, I'm choosing to be thankful for the daughter I already have.  I'm also choosing to be flexible with my life in terms of where I go from now.  Not too long ago I had this strong impression to apply for a job and am already seeing the benefits the extra income has had on my family.  The time away from my daughter has also proved worthwhile in that I cherish my time with her so much more.  And, my husband and I are making the most of the time we have together, even if it's just cuddling and watching videos on YouTube for a few minutes before we go to bed.

I'm grateful for whatever it is inside me that enables me to be flexible with life.  I'm grateful that when things don't go the way I expect, I'm able move forward and continue to be happy and find joy on the road I've been led to.

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, thoughtful expression of what you have been through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've truly learned how to be flexible. My prayers weren't answered on my time, but eventually they were in some aspect or another. Sometimes I'm given more or something different than I had asked for....so with flexibility comes patience as well as trust that all that was meant to be will come to be :) Nice post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have amazing timing! Some things in our life didn't follow the plan we had and we've had to alter our expectations. As the mother of an autistic child, I've had to maintain flexibility... in my schedule, in my expectations, and in my goals but sometimes - like all people - I forget the value of a good stretch, the ability to twist negative in to positive. Thanks for the reminder!

    *~ MAJK ~*
    Twitter: @Safireblade
    A to Z Blog Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you could say we've had a number of curve balls during our repositioning to Kuantan, Malaysia, but each experience has been insightful and a great moment of learning. We can choose to see all things in a good light and look for positives!

    This is me, Duncan D. Horne, visiting you from the A-Z challenge, wishing you all the best throughout April and beyond.

    Duncan In Kuantan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for reason. I would guess that a year or 5 years from now, you'll look back and say, "Ooohhhh... so THAT'S why I didn't get pregnant that year!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely post. Sometimes it's a challenge to realise that the plan is not what you expect, but it brings more peace I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post! Change is the only constant, right? And yes, sometimes no matter how we try, things don't go the way we had planned. There is always hindsight. Sounds like you have lots of faith AND flexibility. Great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you made some changes last year in preparation for having another baby. Maybe that was why you had that strong feeling.

    And I just know there will be another one. He or She is just taking her time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This left me feeling so peaceful myself. What a fantastic approach and perspective. Although I must say the benefits of yoga practice have done my chaotic life so much good too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a thought.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...