June 22, 2012

why I GO TO CHURCH

One of the posts I decided to showcase on my SITS day was about the time we skipped church.  The post generated a lot of comments, more than I was anticipating; however, one comment that basically said, "What's the point?" really caught my attention.  I decided I wanted to spend a little bit of time talking about why I go to church.


I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Or, I'm a Mormon.  Or, I'm LDS.  I was born and raised LDS.  After I left home and started living life on my own, I chose to remain LDS.  Being a Mormon is so much more than just attending church on Sundays.  It's an entire lifestyle.  No, I'm not one of 15 wives married to the same man, but I am a  Christian who firmly believes in the teachings of the LDS faith.

It is because of this that I choose to deal with the ups and downs of taking a toddler to church.  I have been blessed beyond measure for doing that which I know to be right, even when it seems to have no purpose.  Before I was a mother, I would attend church and feel so uplifted and motivated to be a better person.  After my daughter was born {and before she was old enough to attend the nursery}, I rarely, if ever, had those same feelings.  I was going to church strictly out of obedience to God, having faith I would be blessed for it later.

Some Sundays are great.  Others not so great.  Either way, I always feel like I did the right thing when I go to church, regardless of what I got out of it.  At the very least, I know by consistently going to church, I'm teaching my daughter what I deem important in life.  And I want my daughter to know that I don't just talk about what I believe, but that I put into action what I believe.

So, to the person that asked, "What's the point?"  My simple answer is, "Because it is the point."  I can't imagine how my life would be if I didn't believe in a Heavenly Father that knows and loves me.  I can't imagine how my life would be if I didn't feel like I mattered.  Because of church, I know I matter.  I know who I am.  I know where I came from.  I know where I'm going.  I know I am here for a reason.

And that, my friends, is why I go to church.

10 comments:

  1. This is so great and I definitely needed this reminder. I hardly ever feel uplifted, or really even hear much of anything anymore...but I know it's where I need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 22, 2012

    I'm Jewish, but don't attend temple as regularly as I would like. My schedule doesn't always permit it and the temple near my house is a bit of an uncomfortable fit for me (mostly senior citizens). I know that shouldn't matter, but it makes a difference in the sense of community I feel when I attend. That being said, I totally get where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it was rather rude of that commenter to say that, but I suppose that's besides the point.

    What I've always wanted out of church-- but I've never gotten-- is a feeling that I belong. I've always felt out of place, like everyone had known each other for 100 years and I was the odd one out. If I could get past that feeling, if I could feel like I belong and that people cared whether or not I was there, i would go more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Emily!! Two thumbs up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing your family right. And one day your daughter will surprise you with a testimony of her own. My oldest is just a few weeks from starting Young Woman's. She has become my pillar of strength. Making all the hours of walking the halls worth it.

    I started following you on your SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. And what a pure and sweet example of your personal testimony. Well said. And yes, it is most def a life style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I agree...we go to church because the church is true!!! That's all that matters!! Plus, it's 3 hrs out of the week...so little compared to all Heavenly Father blesses us with. Thanks for sharing your testimony!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a thought.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...